£600.00. ENTHUSE bursary of £480.00
This course aims to support the delivery of Advanced Higher Biology with practical, hands-on experiments.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Carry out a range of experiments that utilise many of the Laboratory Techniques for Biologists, as outlined in the course specification, e.g. using a centrifuge, haemocytometer, colorimeter, microsyringes and microbiological equipment
- Investigate the use of a haemocytometer to determine cell counts.
- Explore enzyme activity (including inhibition) using a colorimetric assay and gas sensor technology.
- Deepen student understanding of protein molecules by exploring protein structure using RasMol.
- Use titrations to construct a standard curve and determine the concentration of an unknown.
- Carry out complex microbiological techniques that are applicable to the AH Biology course with appropriate risk awareness and safety precautions.
- Understand the value of R as a statistical package and how to use this across a range of different investigations.
- Explore a range of ecology investigations with a visiting ecologist.
Overnight accommodation will be offered to those delegates who have a sizeable distance to travel on the day before the course. This will be offered on a B&B rate.
The course will be held at SSERC in Dunfermline. Our SSERC buildings are at 2 Pitreavie Court, Dunfermline, KY11 8UU. SSERC is a short (5-10 minutes) walk from Rosyth railway station and close to the end of the A823(M) spur off Junction 2 of the M90 motorway. Car journey times (approximately): Edinburgh – 30 min; Glasgow – 60 min; Aberdeen – 2.5 hours; Inverness – 3 hours.