An important feature of the work of SSERC is the production of health and safety advice for schools and colleges who are in membership. Through our website we provide a number of resources to support this area of activity.
Misunderstandings about the application of health and safety law have, in some cases, discouraged schools and teachers from carrying out a range of learning activities both inside and outside the classroom. These misunderstandings can also be fuelled by fears of civil action or concerns about the need for detailed paperwork.
A proportionate approach to the management of health and safety risks in schools is about:
- protecting pupils and staff from real harm
• enabling innovation and learning opportunities to take place
• helping those who create the risks to manage them sensibly and responsibly
It’s NOT about:
- creating a totally risk free environment
• stifling initiative and stopping learning activities where risks are managed
• generating mountains of paperwork