STEM Programmes Coordinator – September 2021
Salary £28,729 Fixed term contract of 12 months, 35 hours per week with possibility of extension
The post holder will be based in our SSERC headquarters in Dunfermline with the opportunity for a flexible/hybrid working agreement which allows specified working from home days as agreed by their line manager.
The STEM Programmes Coordinator will coordinate a number of programmes or projects within SSERC’s STEM Engagement portfolio. Ideally, they will have experience working in STEM engagement with a positive attitude, initiative, and the ability to manage their time and prioritise their workload to meet regular deadlines.
SSERC is a local authority shared service, providing support across all thirty-two Scottish Education Authorities. Our services are available to elected members and officers of Local Authorities, teachers, student teachers, technicians, youth and community workers. SSERC offers a broad portfolio of services, principally in support of the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) areas of the curriculum, which are not available from any other source and which can be broken down into three main stands of activity:
- Provision of Professional Learning (PL) for early years, primary and secondary teachers and school and college technicians
- The Advisory Service
- A large and growing range of STEM engagement programmes
We are a forward-thinking organisation and continue to develop and grow. Our people are our greatest asset and we have an exciting new opportunity within our STEM Engagement Team.
STEM Engagement at SSERC
SSERC leads on a large number of STEM engagement programmes and activities with the aim of increasing STEM awareness and appreciation among children, young people and adults in Scotland. Our growing portfolio of programmes are accessed by educators and learners in a range of settings from early years, primary and secondary schools, colleges, youth groups, employers and in volunteering sectors.
STEM Engagement programmes currently managed by SSERC includes: –
- Education Industry Partnerships
- ENTHUSE Partnerships
- European Space Education Resource Office Champion
- Nuffield Research Programme
- STEM Ambassadors in Scotland
- Scottish Teacher Placement Programme
- The Young STEM Leader Programme
STEM Programmes Coordinator – September 2021
About the role
The post holder will work within the STEM Engagement Team at SSERC, reporting to the Head of STEM Programmes. They will work closely with Programme, Partnership and Education Managers at SSERC with some tasks being directed by these team members. They will also be expected to work effectively with external STEM organisations in Scotland and the rest of the UK, including the wide range of SSERC partners and stakeholders as well as STEM Learning and the Scottish Government. 3 days a week will involve working on SSERC’s wider STEM programmes: –
- Coordination of the Nuffield Research Placement programme in Scotland
- Engagement and outreach with Higher Education Institutions and STEM Employers to support SSERC’s STEM engagement activity
- Facilitation of professional learning events for STEM educators in line with wider STEM engagement activity at SSERC
- Maintaining accurate, high-quality reports, records and data using online systems such as Dynamics and Confluence for o Nuffield Research Programme o European Space Education Office Champion o Education Industry Partnerships o Scottish Teacher Placement Programme 2 days a week will involve working with the Young STEM Leader Programme:
- Coordination of events to engage Young STEM Leaders and Tutor Assessors, such as the annual Young STEM Leader Week launch event and monthly Tutor Assessor Connections.
- Coordination of short-term projects with Young STEM Leader Programme partner organisations.
- Preparing communications related to the Young STEM Leader Programme, such as quarterly SSERC Bulletin articles and social media posts.
- Tracking and meeting programme deadlines and key deliverables in line with the work plan and team calendar set out by the Programme Manager.
- Using a suite of online digital resources such as Wix, Teams and Zoom to support the delivery of YSLP engagements such as information sessions, training sessions and meetings Although the role is split between two areas, time allocation will be flexible and adapted as required based on the needs of the programmes. Training opportunities will be provided to the successful candidate.
Job Title: STEM Programmes Coordinator
Reports to: Head of STEM Programmes (with some allocation of duties from STEM Engagement Managers)
Educated to SCQF Level 8 or equivalent relevant experience.
- Experience of supporting or coordinating STEM engagement/outreach activities within Scottish education
- Ability to track agreed targets in STEM engagement/education and report to internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to organise their time effectively
- Highly motivated, proactive with a can-do attitude, and eager to achieve results in a multi-functional role
- Excellent communication skills, including written communication, digital skills and networking
- Excellent IT skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Willingness to travel to events across Scotland if and when required
- Knowledge of the Scottish educational context (STEM) and/or experience of working with Scotland’s young people
- Knowledge of the Young STEM Leader Programme and/or Nuffield Research Placement Programme
- Knowledge of current strategies and policies relating to STEM education and training in Scotland and the UK
- A passion for the many learning opportunities that STEM offers young people and educators
- Experience of using social media and other digital platforms for professional outputs
- Member of PVG scheme
The post holder will be required to work 35 hours per week. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
If you feel you meet all the criteria for the role and this sounds like an exciting opportunity, please submit your CV (3 x A4 max) and covering letter (1 x A4 max) to email@example.com with the subject STEM Programmes Coordinator.
Closing Date: Monday 11th October at 5pm
It is likely that interviews will place online (Teams) on Tuesday 19th and Wednesday 20th October 2021.