Within SSERC we have a range of activities which may be useful to support learning and teaching and these are listed in the following sections. Please note that some activities may be useful in more than one Unit and indeed may be useful in other Courses (e.g. National 5 Biology) and our categorisation of activities reflects this flexibility.
The National 4 Biology Course has four mandatory Units:
- Cell Biology
- Biology: Multicellular Organisms
- Biology: Life on Earth
- Added Value Unit: Biology Assignment
Resources are categorised in terms of Key Areas which are defined in the National 4 Biology Course Support Notes published by SQA.
- Cell division and its role in growth and repair.
- DNA, genes and chromosomes.
- Therapeutic use of cells.
- Properties of enzymes and use in industries
- Properties of microorganisms and use in industries.
- Photosynthesis – limiting factors.
- Factors affecting respiration.
- Controversial biological procedures.