- Benchkote and non-absorbent tape if required
- Disinfectant and paper towel
- Discard jar with disinfectant
- Bunsen burner
- Wire loop/inoculating instrument
- Cultures and media
The following applies to right-handed operators. Left-handed people should reverse the arrangement on the bench.
- Tie back long hair.
- Wash and dry hands thoroughly.
- Cover any cuts/grazes with waterproof plaster.
- Put on lab coat.
- Collect materials.
- Attach benchkote to the bench if necessary using sticky tape.
- Swab the surface of your work space with 1% hypochlorite or 1% bleach using the paper towel. Discard paper towel.
- Keep workspace clear of non-essential items.
- Place the wire loop/inoculating implement to the right of the bench so that you can reach it with ease.
- Place the Bunsen burner on a heat resistant mat centrally so that you can reach it with ease but not so close that you are likely to burn yourself.
- Place cultures and media to the left but still within easy reach. Place discard jar containing 1% Virkon to the right within easy reach. The bench must be set up inthis way each time a microbiology practical is carried out.
Image 1 – Attach benchkote Image 2 – example workspace