School Technical Support Staff. Access to this unit will be at the discretion of the centre.
This course forms part of a suite of competency based CLPL for support staff.
T: 01383 626070 ext 221
£480.00 (non-residential rate)
£630.00 (residential rate)
Applicants from Local Authority-funded schools and FE colleges will be entitled to apply for an ENTHUSE Subsidy of £480.00 to help towards covering the cost of the course.
You will be introduced to microbiological techniques. The lectures/tutorials for this outcome will focus on:
- Preparation for microbiological work;
- Aseptic techniques;
- Preparation and sterilisation of media;
- Use of autoclave for sterilisation;
- Sub-culturing, slide preparation and staining;
- Treatment of spillages and disposal;
- Identifying micro-organisms using smears and Gram’s stain.
In this outcome you will be introduced to the methods for disinfection and sterilisation of microbes. You will also learn how to:
- Prepare media;
- Perform sub-culturing techniques and keep records;
- Identify microbial samples using smear techniques and the Gram’s stain test; use chemical disinfectants;
- Treat spillages and dispose of waste.
Why Should You Attend?
Further your knowledge on safety procedures and good working practices for microbiological work in an educational environment.
Risks and the need for good working practices
Preparation for microbiological work
Preparation and sterilisation of media
Use of Autoclave
Sterilisation and disinfection
Slide preparation and staining
Treatment of spillages and disposal
Media Prep assessed practical
Subculturing assessed practical
Smear and prep gram’s stain assessed practical
Close and Plenary
Attend on all 3 days and undergo both written and practical assessment.
For delegates who live more than 50 miles from SSERC, or for whom public travel would take more than 90 minutes, hotel accommodation can be provided at a local hotel.
The course will be held at SSERC in Dunfermline. Our SSERC buildings are at 2 Pitreavie Court, Dunfermline, KY11 8UU. SSERC is a short (5-10 minutes) walk from Rosyth railway station and close to the end of the A823(M) spur off Junction 2 of the M90 motorway. Car journey times (approximately): Edinburgh – 30 min; Glasgow – 60 min; Aberdeen – 2.5 hours; Inverness – 3 hours.