- Implement – spreader, forceps or mounted needle
- 20 ml alcohol in closed bottle
- Shallow glass dish such as Petri dish with glass or fireproof cover
- Pour alcohol into shallow glass dish.
- Dip implement in alcohol and shake off excess.
- Place lid over alcohol.
- Place implement in flame to allow alcohol to catch fire.
- Remove implement from flame and allow alcohol to burn off. Do not put the implement down on bench.
- Carry out the manipulation using the implement.
- Repeat steps 2 – 5. Place implement on heat resistant mat.