Welcome to the professional development part of the SSERC website. This is where you will be able to locate information about our range of courses.
We are proud of the national programme of professional development which we offer in support of science and technology education. In the period from April 2014 to March 2015 over 90% of Scottish secondary schools and colleges were represented at one or more of our professional development courses. Such work could not be achieved without the support of a range of partners most notably the Scottish Government and the National STEM Learning Centre (NSLC). (External reviews of our professional development provision have been published and are accessible from our evaluation page). Our work with the primary sector continues to expand.
Our professional development courses range from twilight events, day-courses through to residential meetings lasting up to 5 days in total (these latter courses are generally delivered over 2 parts). A number of our courses are delivered through e-learning systems and use Glow-meet technology. Our curriculum coverage spans both primary and secondary sectors and we offer events for teachers, trainee teachers and technicians. Our portfolio is varied and includes:
- Courses for Probationers and newly qualified teachers
- Subject specific courses for teachers in primary and secondary sectors
- A range of transition courses to promote enhanced interaction between primary and secondary practitioners
- The annual Scottish Universities Science School
- Health and Safety courses for teachers and technicians
- Design and manufacturing courses for technology teachers
- Courses targeted at science and technology support staff (many of these courses are levelled and credit-rated by SQA within the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework
- Leadership courses for Curriculum Leaders and Heads of Faculty
- The annual SSERC Science and Technology Conference
Delegates at a number of our courses are eligible to receive grants to support their attendance. Teachers in Local Authority funded-schools in Scotland may qualify for an ENTHUSE Award from NSLC to cover registration and accommodation costs associated with the courses. Please contact SSERC (firstname.lastname@example.org) to see which courses qualify for such ENTHUSE funding.
Please contact us (email@example.com) for more information or to discuss bespoke courses which can be offered.